Question
Posted by: Tania | 2007/03/29

Diet for osteoporosis

Hi I'm 32 and had been diagnosed with osteoporosis last year, I'm also vegetarian although I do eat dairy products. I struggle with my weight and can't seem to find a health eating plan for weightloss that is suitable to my vegetarian lifestyle and cater for my calcium needs.I joined a gym and do three spinning classes a week, I also walk and sometimes do small hikes over weekends. Can you please profide me with some tips or a menu plan?

Dear Tania
If you are consuming 3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or 2 cups of fat-free cottage cheese a day then your calcium intake should be around 1000 mg which is adequate for a patient with osteoporosis. If you are NOT getting this amount of calcium from your diet then you need to take calcium tablets (Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz to supply you with at least 500-800 mg of calcium a day). There is a very good cookbook available "Versatile Vegetarian Recipes' by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . You can also do a Search on Google using 'lacto-vegetarian diets or vegetarian diets' as your search terms to obtain more ideas about increasing your calcium intake.