Question
Posted by: Nelbon | 2007/04/22

Diet for muscle gain, balanced nutrition

I am a male, turned 24 today and my height is 194cm. My weight is 83 kg. My body fat is 12.8 percent.
I train 5 times a wekk for an hour and a half at a time, completely weightlifting. Only 40 mins a week of cardio. My job of 7.5 hours a day requires walking around the whole day and I rarely sit down. For about an hour I have to carry heavy objects during my shift at work.

What sort of amount of calories would I need to pick up muscle mass? Should I have a protein shake before and after training? What is the latest time that I should have a meal? What is the best time in morn to have a meal? Casein protein is slow absorbed protein, so should I have that before bedtime so that my protein levels are okay while I sleep?

Please can you assist me with a diet plan like you did for another guy who posted on here. Thank you for your assistance. :)

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Nelbon

Happy belated birthday! I hope it is going to be an awesome year for you!

You did not indicate how much muscle you would like to acquire – I worked on 90 kg which should require about 2840 calories for your lifestyle per day. Please use the same program that I pasted and adjust your calories to it by using the same recommended food types and in the same split of macro nutrients. The concept stays the same all that changes is the calories. As this is also an estimation gauge what is happening in the body – you might need to increase or decrease it slightly.

You certainly will do very well with a shake AFTER trainings – immediately after is best, but make sure it also contains carbs – I like to recommend Myoplex as it contains only 23g carbs and 42g protein which is great for body building, otherwise look for other products on the market with a similar configuration.
Eat your meals 2,5 – 3 hours apart. Try not to have a meal 2 hours before you go to bed, except your protein shake. In the mornings you can eat immediately as there has been a long stretch that the body has gone without food, except if you are going to train shortly after rising and if you find it difficult to do so on a full stomach then you can try a cup of strong coffee with a teaspoon of condensed milk as I can see you do not have a body fat problem!

Good luck and happy muscle building!
Vanessa