Posted by: Monique | 2013/02/04

Diet for me and husband

Hi there,

My husband and I are both quiet small build people but we both struggle with fat around our bellies. I am much more health concious but it is very difficult to cook for someone that loves his fried foods and rich sauces!!!Do you have any advice on how I can make/prepare food so that it is delicious yet more healthy and are there any specific foods that I should incorporate more?I am very skinny but my tummy and waist has a lot of fat, this has also worsen after my daughter was born. I want to decrease this fat without making my legs and arms more skinny!!

Hope you can give me some good advice!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Monique
Abdominal fat is indeed a problem that many adults and even some children struggle to lose. Basically if you can lose weight all round and eat a balanced diet and increase your energy output with daily exercise, then the abdominal fat should also start shrinking. This is, however, not a fast process, so you may need to be patient and to persevere.
To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Diet & Nutrition’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming, etc) by also checking out the ‘Weight Loss’ section and exploring the site.
There is no way to predict where you will start losing weight. Most slimmers complain that they tend to lose weight in their faces and extremities, so you may want to add some targeted exercise to your regimen, such as doing situps for the tummies and working with weights to build some muscles on your arms and legs. Consult a biokineticist for appropriate workouts.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.