Question
Posted by: Moose | 2003/02/18

Diet for lung infection sufferers

Hi Doc,

I suffer regularly from lung infections usualy starting from nasal drips. I am an athsma sufferer - though it is generally mild.

I was admiitted into hospital for three days last year to checkk me out as to why I was having breathing difficulties, and nothing was found (they did the works including breathing in radiation particals to check the lungs). At that stage I was doing no excercise. Since then I have restarted to swim and play squash regularly - started slowly and built up. I still suffer from mild athsma, but is much better than when I was a child. I do cough up small yellowish lumps in the morning and am not presently on atibiotics, but it does not affect my busy schedule. I was sick about four years ago with hepatitis A. I am 40 yrs old, about 6ft 5inches and weigh 85kg.

Could you please prescribe a diet for myself to aid my health issues as well as to slightly reduce my weight.

Dear Moose
Have you ever been tested for a food allergy (milk, wheat, soya, etc)? If not, then please discuss such tests with your dr because that nasal drip could be an indication of such a problem and you mention that it is causing your lung infections. If you do test positive then we can have a look at the foods you would need to avoid. In the meanwhile, I would NOT advise you to lose any weight. Your BMI = 22, which is absolutely ideal for someone of your height. Losing weight will put a strain on your body which may compromise your immune system even more, so no dieting! I am very glad to hear that you are doing exercise which can be beneficial as long as you don't exacerbate your asthma. If you click on 'Diet' and "View old Diet & Food site' you can read the articles on 'Balanced Diet I-IV' which you need to apply for a healthy immune system. You can also try taking Salmon oil capsules to boost your omega-3 intake which helps immunity.