Question
Posted by: Cathy | 2003/02/08

DIET FOR LEFT TEMPORAL EPILEPSY

I took my son to a paediatrician who then sent us to a neurologist for an EEG. On going back to the paediatrician, he said he suspected that my 10 year old son suffers from left temporal epilepsy, and also that he was a bright boy. He suggested I put my son on a diet eliminating various sweets, chocolates, preservatives certain fruits etc. Although my son was recently diagnosed with a mild form of asthma (he was put on Seretide this month), I think the diet which the paediatrician has put him on is rather extreme and is not treating the cause of the "epilepsy". The paediatrician also stated that he would get a 2nd opinion and come back to us. He has not yet done this and it is now 2 weeks since we saw him. Do you think elimination of certain foodstuffs is essential.

Cathy, certain foods may have an influence on epilepsy, but it’s not a given. The best would probably to contact the paediatrician and hear what he has to say. You can also start by taking away one thing at a time. If it improves the situation, don’t give it to him again. If it has no effect within a month, it’s probably safe to let him have it. You can also drop DietDoc a line about this. Good luck.