Question
Posted by: PG | 2005/11/25

Diet for IBS

I need more information regardig food for an IBS "sufferer". I found many examples but not the exact names for it. It's only referred to as for instance high fibre foods BUT what foods contains high fibre. The same for all food to avoid - but nothing is called by name, only groupnames, etc. Any special diets available?? Regards

Dear PG
If you look under 'Diet' on this Website you will also find articles on 'High-fibre foods'. I don't have a specific diet for IBS patients because the reaction to offending foods is often very individual - one patient develops symptoms when eating white bread, the next patient reacts to dry beans, peas and lentils or foods that contain textured vegetable protein. If you are struggling to control your IBS, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet that takes your specific reactions to foods into account.