Question
Posted by: derek | 2004/11/29

diet for gout

I recently got an attack of gout in my big toe. Blood tests showed
high uric acid. can you recommend a good diet for this condition.

Dear Derek
Gout is caused by an accumulation of uric acid in the blood and joints, so it should really not affect your calcium levels. There tends to be a controversy about what is meant by the concept "acidic foods". People who have gout have an inability to metabolise components called 'purines' which occur in foods such as organ meats (liver, kidneys), meat (beef, mutton in particular), fish, anchovies, meat extracts and legumes. So the advice would be to cut out or decrease your intake of these foods. Foods that have an acid taste like lemon juice, citrus fruits and strawberries do not actually produce an acid reaction in the body once they are metabolised, in contrast the final product of the metabolism of such foods is alkaline. Acid residues are formed by meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, bacon, Brazil and walnuts, all types of bread, cereals, pasta, corn on the cob, cranberries, plums, prunes and plain cakes and cookies. Alkaline residues are formed in the body when we eat all milk and dairy products, almonds, chestnuts, coconut, all types of fruit (except corn on the cob, lentils), all types of fruit except the ones listed under acid ash. Fats and oils, sugar, honey, maizena, tapioca and coffee and tea are classed as neutral. I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with a diet that reduces purines and improves your gout. If you have gout it is advisable to also avoid all alcohol.