Question
Posted by: sean | 2005/01/09

DIET FOR GAINING WEIGHT

Dear Diet doc

I am a 24yr old guy.I feel that I am lean not skinny .I weigh 63kg and would like to increase my weight to about 70kg.I have started weight training.I would like a diet plan to follow everyday for a typical week to ensure that I am eating correctly from all the food groups.For eg what to eat for breakfast, lunch and supper.
Can you suggest one?

Dear Sean
I don't have a specific example of such a diet, but you can click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and read the articles on what foods you should eat as part of a basic, healthy diet. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about this and other Nutritional Supplements. Your weight training will also help, but remember it takes TIME to build muscles, so be patient, Rome was not built in a day!