Question
Posted by: Bulelwa | 2007/05/08

Diet for diabetic

My dad has a colon problem, is diabetic and suffers from high blood pressure. Recently he was diagnosed with having flank pain: the back muscles behind his abdominal area spasm and coz incredible pain. He has difficultly eating and has lost a lot of weight, further more has lost his appetite due to this.
I have been giving him lots of fruit, water, rooibos tea, vegetables and only white meat.

Can you advise a suitable diet for him and perhaps recommend suitable weight gain products and products to help improve his appetite.

Dear Bulelwa
I am sorry to hear about your dear Dad's problems. Because he has a complex medical history and suffers from multiple conditions, I cannot work out a diet for him over the Internet. It is essential for anyone with diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your father's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as high blood pressure, the colon problems and his weight loss, into account when working out a diet for him, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'.
For your Dad's sake Please consult a dietitian as soon as possible.