Question
Posted by: David | 2002/12/05

Diet for cyclist.

Hi Doc,

I am 1.78 m tall, weigh 91 Kg and is 30 years old.

I cycle often and have started, last week, to following a 12 week training program of which each week consist of approximately 12 hours of training varying between 60 to 90% of hart rate based intensity.

My problem is, I want to lose body fat to reach an approximately weight of 80 Kg. I think that will be ideal for me. I don’t want to loose muscle fibre in the process. So what do I do?

Another uncertainty is what is the correct supplementation that I should use to recover quickly, get stronger and still lose weight.

If you require any additional info, please let me know.

David Van Rensburg

Dear David
At present your BMI = 28,4 which indicates overweight. If you reduce to 80 kg your BMI would equal 25, which it the upper cut-off point for normal weight. I therefore recommend that you eat a balanced low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Food' and 'Weight Loss' for an Example of the Slimming Diet) and combine it with that regular exercise you intend doing. Because this diet has a low-fat content you will start losing weight, but because it also has a high carbohydrate content, you will not lose lean muscle tissue. Remember to drink an energy drink before, during and after your intensive exercise to prevent loss of muscle, fatigue and to replenish your liver glycogen stores.