Question
Posted by: Concerned mom | 2004/10/11

Diet for 9 year old child

My son is 9 years old and weighs about 50kg (he is not very tall). He has a big bone structure (like his dad). People makes remarks like he is overweight and needs to go on a diet. Can you suggest a menu I can start with him to loose some weight, he also wants to weigh less. (I want him to loose weight not because of the people, but for himself and his self confidence and health reasons).

Many thanks.

Dear Concerned Mom
Your laddie is indeed overweight as 50 kg is more than an average 14-year-old boy would weigh. The average weight for a 9-year-old is about 28 kg. Because most experts agree that young children should not be put on strict diets, but rather lose weight by increasing the amount of physical activity they do, I would like to suggest the following: a) consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). She/he will work out a diet for your lad that is energy-reduced, but still contains sufficient nutrients such as calcium to promote healthy growth. b) help him to get as active as possible (sport, swimming cycling or even letting him join a gym) and to spend at least 1-2 hours a day doing some activity. I do not have a slimming diet for young children on this Website, so it is better to get an individual diet worked out for him by a dietitian. In the meanwhile click on 'Child' at the top of this page and 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Schoolchildren aged 7-10 years' to see what he should be eating.