Question
Posted by: Mother | 2005/07/11

Diet for 13 year old runner

Could you plse help me with a eating program for my 13 year old son. He is a cross country runner. I need to know what he needs to eat/drink and what not, a few days before a race. He runs 4km's per race. (he weighs 35 kg)

Dear Mother
I can unfortunately not work out specific diets for individuals. If you click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' you will find a comprehensive series of articles on 'Diets for sportsmen and women' which you can use as a guideline. The most important nutrients are carbohydrates to provide him with sufficient energy for his strenuous activity. You can also consult a clinical dietitian who specialises in sports nutrition so that she/he can work out a specific diet for the lad that also takes his growth needs into account. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. When you phone the dietitian ask if she/he specialises in sports nutrition.