Question
Posted by: scard | 2004/10/06

diet, exercise and pills still not losing

im 22 years of age and always had to battle being overweight. my gynea has put me on the pill (melodene). been on it for about 2 years. I am currently on the Dr Atkins diet (high protein) and have found this diet/lifestyle to work in the past. unfortunately (for my weight) i have given up smoking, and have not had a smoke in over a month and a half. I am also taking BioSlim tablets, as i have found these to work in the past as well. I came off the pill 2 months ago for a month and have gone back on, but missed my period last month.

My question is. Why am i battling with my weight this time round. is it because i am holding water, beacuse of not getting my period ? I am regularly exercising. I do a 2km speed walk every morning (mon to fri), im on natural weight loss tablets and on a life style eating plan that has worked in the past. Is it got to do with giving up smoking ???
please help.

Dear Scard
Stopping smoking can affect weight loss for a time, but this usually improves after a few months. I cannot condone either the diet or the tablets you are using as they are potentially harmful. You may also be pregnant? if you missed your period, so have this checked out too. Otherwise your metabolism may have changed and you may have developed insulin resistance. I would advise you to have a medical checkup just to eliminate any underlying problems. If you are given a clean bill of health, then try combining a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) which you can combine with the exercise. Also give your body time to adjust to all these changes - be patient.
Keep up the good work with stopping smoking and doing exercise.