Question
Posted by: Curious | 2008/01/07

diet & exercise

Good day, Diet Doc
Hope you had a lovely Festive Season? I just have one query. I've started working out on a treadmill with some stationary bike cycling once in a while. I'm exercising seven days per week (mostly) and over the last +/- 45 days lost 3.5cm around my hips and 2.5cm around my waist. However, my weight seems to remain the same (I am almost 27kg) overweight and would like to see some kind of difference. My diet basically consist of porridge in the morning, sandwich in the afternoon and a decent meal - protein, veg, & starch (within limit although once in a while i tend to let go of this) I use only low fat & very little oil in my food if any and no sugar in my diet. I also have a history of hypothyroidism & hypoglyceamia - not sure if this would affect it. I feel so much better since I started the exercising, but do feel a bit dispondent at the fact that I'm not losing the weight. Please help me in giving some sort of advice as to how I can actually see the difference on the scale as well. Regards. K

Dear Curious
Yes, I had a good Festive Season and hope that you too enjoyed this time. It is excellent that you are working out so hard every day and that you have already lost a total of 6 cm in your vital dimensions. This indicates that you are losing fat even if the scale says otherwise. At present you are probably building muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue (ironic isn't it?). However the fact that you suffer from hypoglycaemia may be hampering your weight loss because you basically need a low-fat, energy-reduced, but low-GI diet to lose weight. If possible, please do consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your hypoglycaemia, hypothyroidism, and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.
You may well find that by using a low-GI slimming diet in conjunction with the exercise that you lose more weight.
Best wishes for your weight loss schedule