Question
Posted by: Stella | 2008/06/03

Diet everyone talks about

Has anyone tried this diet? Im interested in doing this but dont want to waste my money if it's not going to work?

Dear Stella
I am not personally in favour of high-protein, high-fat diets like The Diet Everyone is Talking About, which is just another variation of the Atkins Diet. The reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. So, if it works for you and you don't use it for longer than about 2 weeks at a time, then that is fine. but please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets. You should still be getting at least 1-2 portions of carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI) at each meal to supply you with fibre and readily available energy.

1
Posted by: Tried it | 2008/06/04

I have lost about 10kg on this diet. \ it really works if you stick to it. The only thing is that is is not good for your kidneys over the long term. What I have found lately is that I will loose 2.9kg in one week just to pick it up in 1 week if I stop. But it works.

Reply to Tried it