Question
Posted by: Honey | 2007/07/25

Diet during pregnancy

Dear Doc, I recenlty joined the gym because I have 13kgs to shed. I do mostly aerobics & spinning 3-4 times a week. I discovered I am pregnant and do not want to pick up too much weight and then have to struggle afterwards. Is it possible with a sensible diet and exercise to loose some of the excess weight during pregnancy in order to prevent picking up too much.

Dear Honey
Congratulations on your pregnancy. It is possible to either lose a bit of weight or to prevent excess weight gain during a pregnancy by using the correct diet and moderate exercise. For the sake of your baby and your own health, I would strongly urge you to see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because it is very important that you use a well balanced slimming diet so that you do not deprive your baby of vital nutrients. You also need to check with the dr or gynae who is supervising your pregnancy about the type of exercises you are allowed to do. The dr may decide that aerobics and spinning are too strenuous and recommend more gentle exercise like going for walks or swimming.