Question
Posted by: lele | 2004/02/25

Diet during Pregnancy

I am a 28 year old and now 17weeks pregnant with my second child. I have always been overweight but managed to loose a lot of weight, thru weighless, and wore size 32 when I was at Tech. The weight loss changed my confidence and self-esteem.

With my unexpected second pregnancy, I seemed to have gained more weight than with the first one and with everyday that passes, I feel myself sinking into a depression and thinking of dieting. I know that this will not be healthy for my baby, but I seem more concerned about the weight than the effects it would have on my unborn child. I don't want to end up having ill feelings towards my child and blaming them for making me into the miserable gal that I once was before the drastic weight loss.

I don't want to go out anymore 'cos it means meeting people I know and I know the first statement will be about my weight gain.

PLease help me before I do something drastic and hurt my child. I even have tears rolling down as I write this. I am desperate, please help me.

Desperate mom-to-be

Dear Lele
Firstly you need to consult your gynae or dr because I suspect that you are suffering from pregnancy blues! This depression could be partly due to the changes in hormone levels we experience during pregnancy. Secondly I urge you to consult a clinical dietitian ASAP (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area) so that she/he will work out a balanced diet which will either help you lose a bit of weight or not gain more AND also provide sufficient nutrients for your developing baby. Also ask the gynae or dr what kind of exercise you are allowed to do without upsetting the pregnancy (e.g. walking or swimming, etc), because regular exercise in the fresh air will help you to control your weight and make you feel less depressed because you will be producing endorphins (natural chemicals) in your body that help to counteract depression. It may also be a good idea to consult a clinical psychologist (ask the dr to refer you) because you need help to work through this unexpected pregnancy and your fear of gaining weight and having people see you. I am going to take a bet with you, that everyone who does see you will not even thing about weight gain, but congratulate you that you are pregnant. "When is the baby due? Is it a boy or girl?" Those are the questions people are going to ask you, and they won't even think about how much you may or may not weigh.
Don't do anything drastic and don't hurt this baby. I have often heard that these unwanted babies that make their mothers weep buckets of tears during pregnancy, turn into the delight of their lives once they are born. Just imagine, this baby has the potential to become a great artist or scientist or a loving human being - give it a chance.
Holding thumbs for you real tight!
Do the right thing and get help ASAP

4
Posted by: PFP | 2004/02/26

Hi Lele
I was a weighless member before falling pregnant also. I realise you may not be chuffed at the prospect of putting on all the kilo's you worked so hard to loose - but - bear in mind that you are picking up weight for a totally different reason than before.

You are carrying another life in your body and this blessing is only in your body for a temporary journey. Feed and nurture this baby with every motherly bone in your body. Once your baby is born your body is yours again and a good portion of the weight will dissappear quicker than it was added on.

Try and bear this in mind ..... it is temporary. Don't harm your innocent little bundle.

Be as happy and healthy as you possibly can (mind and body) for the health of your baby.

Wishing you a healthy & happy pregnancy!
PFP

Reply to PFP
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/26

Ah. Now here is a case where you should NOT use the Atkins diet. At least, not while you're pregnant.

After the birth of your baby, if you are breastfeeding (and you should) you can consider the mild form of low-carb dieting. That's where you cut out the junk carbs like pasta, bread, rice, flour, refined grains and sugar.

You go for a diet of 30% carbs, 35% protein and 35% fats (measured per kilojoule). For the low down on this (Insulin Balance diet) read Leslie Kenton's book "The X-factor Diet".

Low carb is the most effective diet for almost everybody.

Reply to Nutrition Nut
Posted by: dee | 2004/02/25

I was overweight a few years ago, and changed my way of eating and excercised regularly and lost 14kg's.
I kept it off for years, now i am 18 weeks pregnant and everytime i get onto the scale it goes up and up, i used to be able to control it, now i feel helpless.
But i do know 1 thing is for sure, i will not starve my baby!
But after the birth i will be back into my strict eating plan and excersise regime and will loose the weight again, and fit into my small clothes again.
You cannot worry about it now, just eat healthy. After the birth, you can go back to weighless again and you WILL loose the weight.

Reply to dee
Posted by: MSM | 2004/02/25

I was also on weighless before i fell pregnant. I carried twins you can imagine how big i was. First trimester i felt like you feel now; but i did not care about the comments people made; i enjoyed my pregnancy and did not deprive myself of my "CRAVINGS"; but also ensured that i eat healthy. My twins are 9months; big and healthy.

I am back on my diet programme now and it works for me. You can also consult Weighless Group Leaders or your Gyanae regarding you being on diet.

GOOD LUCK. ENJOY YOUR PREGNANCY

Reply to MSM