Question
Posted by: chan | 2007/06/14

diet drinks

Dear doc, can u please tell me if diet drinks can effect the effectiveness of antidepressant medication. I believe the spartum is the problem. Please advise.
Thank u

Dear Chan
I do not think that aspartame interferes with antidepressants and have to date not read any scientific research that supports this theory. It is possible that when you have cold drinks sweetened with artificial sweetener and do not ingest any carbohydrate from the drink (the sugar), that this lowers your brain serotonin levels and makes you feel less positive. Carbohydrates stimulate brain serotonin levels and give you a 'lift'.