Question
Posted by: Princess Daisy Boo | 2008/02/01

Diet Doctor

Hi, I need to sort out my weight and diet issues. I need to lose a lot of weight (about 35kgs). What I would like is for someone to assess my health in general, by means of blood tests or whatever, and create a weight loss program specifically for me - something along the lines of shows on TV like Diet Doctors or similar... Is this what a dietitian does?

Dear Pirncess Daisy Boo
If you have 35 kg to lose I would recommend that you first have a medical examination and ask the dr to test your hormone levels (thyroid, insulin and female hormones) to see if you have an imbalance. The dr will prescribe thyroid, or female hormone treatments if these should be deficient. Also discuss the use of Xenical with the medical dr because this medication could get you started on your weight loss. If you suffer from insulin resistance then you need to see a dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. The third component is regular exercise which you can obtain at a good gym or by joining Walk for Life.

1
Posted by: Adele | 2008/02/01

Maybe you can try the TLC Wellbeing Clinic diet. Search the web for the clinic close to you They test your blood and work out a diet according to the results. My husband did it and lost alot of weight. Good Luck!

Reply to Adele