Question
Posted by: pally | 2008/01/25

Diet blues

Im 32yrs old,1.6m tall and weigh 60kg. Ive gained weight just under a year and im extremely frustated.Ive tried diets and its true they dont work,i tried starving myself,that too has failed me,im desperate! Im now eating 5-6 portions a day,but i dont see any results.I eat variety of fruit, veges and carbs and protein.Why am i not shedding the weight?The only thing i cant do is excersise, i leave home for work early and come late and tired.I really dont know what to do.Please help Doc.THANK U

Dear Pally
Your present BMI = 23,4 which is practically ideal for your height, so your body is probably resisting any further weight loss. I would recommend that you stick to 6 small healthy meals a day and try to do some type of exercise. You can for example buy skipping rope and skip for 30 min a day increasing how fast you skip as you get fitter. Don't try all kinds of diets, esp starvation diets, as this could make your metabolism shut down and then cause weight gain. To have an ideal BMI of 22 you would need to weigh 56 kg, so this is not a lot to loose. Stressing about your weight which is already nicely within the normal range will only frustrate you and lead to depression. Try the exercise and give your body a chance to adapt.