Question
Posted by: DEEDEE | 2003/01/15

DIET BEFORE PREGANTCY

I am planning to have a baby in 2004 and am currently very concerned about my daily diet. How do I prepare my body well in advance for this big step? Is there anything you can suggest to make me more healthier? I want to start well in advance to make sure that I do it right. Also, is there anything I can eat or drink to make me more fertile?

Dear DeeDee
Congratulations for having such a sensible approach. Basically you should eat a balanced diet - for info click on 'Diet' and "View old diet & food site' and read all the articles on 'Balanced Diet' and check if there are still any of the articles I wrote on "Pregnancy Diet'. I would suggest that you cut out all alcohol even in the conception phase as there are indiciations that the baby can be harmed by alcohol at a very early stage. Have your iron levels checked and if they should be low, take an iron supplement. Take folic acid for at least 3 months before you fall pregnant and during pregnancy to prevent spina bifida. For the rest do healthy exercise to get yourself into top shape and go for it.