Question
Posted by: Latoya | 2007/02/23

Diet and Insulin

I am a type 2 diabetic woman aged 33. I started using Insulin injection ( Humalog Mix) four weeks ago. My problem is that I have gained a lot of weight (6kg). I am following a diet and exercising on a daily basis. Is there something that I am doing wrong, please help me I am very confussed !

Dear Latoya
Because you are a type 2 diabetic and are using insulin, I would strongly recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Keep up the exercise on a daily basis (30 min or more) as this helps to control weight and insulin and blood glucose levels.