Question
Posted by: ... Wondering | 2008/06/12

Diet and Exercise - am i doing it right?

I am on eltroxin and glucophage. I am trying to stay away from carbs but i exercise everyday (20 min treadmil - med and high intensity interval training-burn approx 130 cal, 20 min oliptical med and high intensity interval training-burn approx 170 cal, 20 min arm cycle-burn approx 100cal, and weight training targeting all muscle groups)

BREAKFAST: 1/3 cup muslie and just enough milk
SNACK: Yoghurt 100g low fat
LUNCH: Lental/Vegie soup canned (Lower calerie soup) 1 white roll
SNACK: 3 pieces dry fruit (1 prune, 1 slice apple, 1 slice pear)
SUPPER: Lental/Vegie soup canned (Lower calerie soup) OR 2 Boiled eggs

I am single so i dont cook a meal. I figured soup is better than not eating anything or eating junk.

I weigh 90 kg, i am 1.65 m tall.

Am i doing it right..... How fast should i loose wieght?

Dear Wondering
If you suffer from insulin resistance (IR) which seems probable because you are taking Glucophage this does not mean that you should cut out carbs. It does mean that you should be using carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI) not only to lose weight, but to help control your raised insulin levels. I would always recommend that anyone with IR and/or weight problems should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because the correct diet is essential to controlling your condition and promoting weight loss. The diet you describe is certainly low in energy and should, therefore, promote weight loss, but it is not balanced (too few calcium-containing foods, not enough vegetables and fruit, lacking fibre, etc) and foods like the white roll will not improve your insulin control (use rye or seedbread with a low-GI instead). It would, therefore, be a good idea to see a dietitian to help you with the low-GI, low-fat diet. The lentil or vegetable soups you intend using are an excellent idea as they are low-GI, esp the lentil soup. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.
Keep up the good work with the exercise as this helps with weight loss and regulates blood sugar and insulin levels.