Posted by: dayzee | 2008/12/02


About twelve years ago I had (very sucessful!!) gastric bypass surgery - the duodenal switch type. A year ago I was hospitalised with severe enteritis which resulted in renal and liver failure.

In hospital I was told that I would never be able to consume alcohol again and should follow a strict sugar-, fat- and fibre-free diet. In fact, the diet should be bland and easy to digest, e.g. boiled mince, mash and squash.

In addition, I have discovered that I now suffer from lactose intolerance (increased diarhee, extreme rectal burning) and am unable to digest certain foods that I cold easily eat before, like spinach, lettuce and tomatoes.

My entire body seems to have changed as well. I suffer extreme discomfort when I lay down (flatulence, diarhee) and find that I spend most of the night running to the loo. It is almost as if my metabolism refuses to slow down at night?

In desperation I would like to find out if you can suggest a specific diet as I have exhausted parmaceutical options and tend to starve myself in order to avoid the unpleasant systems.

PLEASE help me as I am unemployed can cannot consult a dietician or specialist.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Dayzee
I am so sorry to hear about these serious medical problems that you are experiencing. There is no specific diet for this kind of problem and you really do need to sit down with a dietitian who will obtain a diet history to see which foods you are reacting to and which foods you can still eat. If you were treated in a government hospital for your enteritis then please contact them again because most of these hospitals do have a dietitian who should be able to see you on an outpatient basis. It may also be necessary for you to receive a liquid diet which the hospital may be able to obtain for you at a lower price than what you would have to pay at a pharmacy.
You need a follow-up consultation with a physician (a gastroenterologist) and a dietitian, so Please contact your hospital as soon as possible.
Holding thumbs that you can obtain the necessary treatment.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.