Question
Posted by: Nicola | 2006/07/20

Diet after complete gastrectomy

My father has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer and had to undergo a complete gastrectomy. During surgery, it was found that the cancer had spread to his pancreas. He has now been discharged from hospital but we are finding it very difficult to get him to eat. He needs to regain his strength in order to undergo radiation treatment, but he has had one setback after another, including low blood sugar and iron levels (necessitating a further stay in hospital for blood transfusions and iron injections) as well as a sever attack of gout in his ankles and shoulders. Could you please suggest some ideas?

Dear Nicola
I am so sorry to hear about your dear Dad's condition. In such cases it is ESSENTIAL for you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.dietetics.co.za and click on Private Practising to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for your Dad that takes his multiple problems and present weakness and lack of appetite into consideration. This is something that I cannot do for you over the Internet. Your Dad needs very special meal replacement supplements to build him up.
Holding thumbs for all of you