Question
Posted by: confused | 2008/01/10

diet

I have been told that i need to consume about 52g of carbs and protein and 5g of fat for each of my six meals a day can you pls give me an idea of what some meals would look like i.e actual foods

Dear Confused
I don't know who has given you this instruction to eat 52 g of carbs and proteins and 5 g of fat in 6 meals a day, without giving you more details?? I agree with the instruction about the carbs and fat, but think that 52 x 6 = 312 g of protein a day is far, far too much protein. The daily RDA for adults is only 56 g of protein and you would be eating nearly 6 times more! Basically you would eat one moderate portion of carbs at each of the 6 meals, e.g. a bowl of cereal, or 1-2 slices of bread or 2 crackers, or a serving of cooked starch (1/2 cup brown rice or potatoes or pasta or sweet potatoes, etc) or one fruit or 1/2 cup of fruit juice at each meal. 5 g of fat represents 1 teaspoon of margarine, low-fat oil dressing or oil (e.g. use margarine on bread or crackers, or oil on salads). As regards the protein, I would only add small quantities (e.g. 1/2 cup of milk with cereals, 1/2 cup of yoghurt or fat-free cottage cheese or 1 boiled egg, or 2 thin slices of fat-free meat or 1/3 cup fish or 1/2 cup cooked legumes).
Ask the person who recommended this eating plan to be more specific and let's hear what he/she says.