Question
Posted by: Tortoise | 2007/12/10

Diet

I got a pet tortoise (with permits), and would just like to confirm what there diet should consist of. At the moment I am feeding them lettuce, tomato, beans and egg shell for the calcium/protien side.

Is there anything more that I should/could feed them?

Tortoises also need plenty of grass. Fresh grass is best so it you can put them in the garden they will eat on teir own. Just need to be careful it does not burrow out!

4
Posted by: MARTYX | 2008/01/15

You can also offer the following foods to your tortoise which seem to be very popular.

banana, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, button mushrooms, olives, gem squash, apricots, tortoise pellets

Fruit should be limited to 2 or 3 times per week. Always give your tortoise fresh water to drink - daily.

Reply to MARTYX
Posted by: Anninonymous | 2007/12/18

Are tortoises territorial - I had a tortoise walk up my driveway, but could not keep it as it fought with mine and did not seem to eat any of the same foods either.

Reply to Anninonymous
Posted by: Tortoise | 2007/12/11

Thanks Jax, appreciate it.

Reply to Tortoise
Posted by: jax | 2007/12/10

hi,

ok, if you have the permits.....it's still often difficult to feed the correct diets. Torties eat a lot of indigenous plants to provide them with all the necessary nutrients, so should always be offered different leaves/grasses from the area they come from.

Drop the lettuce - it's nutritional cardboard. Don't give cabbage. Add soft fruits - they often seem to like peaches and plums. Eggshell is good. Basic rule is as much variety as possible, and as much indigenous food as possible.
Make sure that they have direct sunlight for at least a couple of hours every day - sun through glass/perspex is not enough - they need this to prevent Vit D deficiencies and to absorb the calcium properly.

Having more than one for company is always good. It's hard to believe, but torties are quite sociable. Phone FreeMe on 011 807-6993 on a Mon or Thu between 13h00 and 17h00 and ask for tortie advice - there is a volunteer on those shifts who will be able to give you more in-depth info.

Thank you for going the legal and ethical route by getting a permit, and for caring enough about them to want to learn more about their care.
Regards,
jax

Reply to jax