Question
Posted by: danni | 2007/07/10

diet

Currently I am 53kg and .156 height. My ideal weight is 49. I would like to know what products will help me lose the fat, give muscle tone and definition, and maybe a good programme to start working out. My problem areas are upper arms and middle.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Danni

Losing weight has to do with the amount of calories (energy) you consume in relation to how many calories your body needs for its daily functioning and obviously addional if you train and not really with which products you use. To keep weight constant at 49 kg you will need about 1500 calories thus to loose weight you may cut some calories from the 1500 and increase your daily energy expenditure through exercise. Supplementss should fit into your dietary calculation - they are usually used immediately after training for instant re-fuelling (carbohydrates) and building material (proteins) to grow the muscle.

Divide your calorie need into six meals per day with a ratio of 50-60% carbs, 15-25% protein, and 20% fat. Mostly consume low GI carbohydrates and use higher GI carbs during and after training to refuel you stores. Read food labels to supply you with the necessary nutrition information to be able to perform the calculations and visit the GI foundations of SA’s website www.gifoundation.com for more info on the glycemic index of foods.
Re a training program I would recommend you call in the help of a biokineticist and get a proper program suitable to your need as I am not qualified in that field other than my own set of knowledge that I have accumulated over the years.

Good luck and take care!
Vanessa