Question
Posted by: Jeanne | 2007/05/31

Diet

Hi guys, I am a girl and 18yrs in matric, just need to lose weight so desperately for my matric dance. I am currently 57kg and want to be 47 by september. How to be thin, I am so fat... I don't access to gym, please give me a diet that has worked for you....

thanks in advance for those who'll respond positively

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Jeanne,

firstly you need to be sure what a healthy weight is for your height and age, not just picking a weight at random.

Post a question to our diet doc who can advise on safe and healthy ways to lose weight and what a healthy weight for you would be.

5
Posted by: Jeanne | 2007/06/02

Thanx a mil guys for your replies, will definetely give it a go.... wish me lick

Reply to Jeanne
Posted by: TRUST ME | 2007/06/01

Jeanne, you don't have to suffer too much to be healthily slim.Too skinny really isn't sexy and men don't like it- they DONT.Men like breasts and ass and hips.Too skinny and you'll lose your shape.Try not eating starch such as bread or pasta or rice or potatoes at your evening meal.Eat protein (preferably white meat) such as tuna, fish, chicken and vegetables such as pumpkin, broccoli, saladveg instead for dinner.In the midday you can eat starches such as pasta or bread and red meat and whatever you want for lunch.But eat a normal portion and don't go for seconds.Switch full cream milk to low fat and low fat yoghurt to fat free.Switch regular salad dressing and sauces (such as ketchup) to 'light' versions and try not spreading margarine on your bread or adding oil to your pasta.Pasta with herbs and a little cheese grated over ,is delicious.There's also lower-in- calories-cheeses available.Cut off the fat part of your meat and buy skinless chicken breasts.Never load your food with extra sugar or margarine/butter.Do not fry the food, roast it in the oven or steam it.If you cut out completely on favourite foods ,your cravings for them will take over.Breakfast is very important because it really kickstarts your metabolism.Cereals from the box usually isnt that high in kilojoules and is fine.But your best options would be a cup of cooked porridge (traditional type ,not quick-type) such as jungle oats, matabella, taystee wheat.Eat this with salt and a tablespoon canderell powder, do not load with margarine and sugar.Cereal from the box, including muesli is often high in added sugar.(Except bokomo fibre plus which is great with joghurt).Also ,if you eat something VERY fattening like a nice biggish piese of cheese cake once, it wont instantly make you gain weight.You can get away with it if you eat healthy in the rest of the time.Try having a nice sunday dessert - a bowl of ice cream, a chocolate or a slice of cake for dessert just so that your cravings wont take over and your body won't feel deprived of those things.You will only gain weight if you eat a very huge piece of that dessert every single day and not do any excersize.When you eat hamburgers or hotdogs, try eating only one half of the bread bun.That way it is still delicious, but is saves you a lot of kilojoules.Grating cheese makes you use a lot less cheese than when you slice it.With the example of what to eat for breakfast ,lunch and dinner ,you should also drink much water.Water is a natural appetite suppressant.And you should include 2-3 snacks a day.Snacks should be something like a vitalinea 100ml tub joghurt (which has about 300kJ a tub -it's not much) or a whole fruit such as an apple/orange or a cup sliced fruit such as paw-paw or pineapple.If you buy canned fruit, wash the sugar syrup off in water before you et the fruit.But fresh fruit is best.Juice has a lot of kilojoules ,so drink half a glass instead of a glass.You can trust my advice and it will give you a healthy slim fisique.I had a problem with my weight and then I had to figure out a plan that I could actually sustain following and look good.I do look good and my weight has been a stable 58 kg for about 3 years now.And im 1.76 metres tall, so im thin,but I do have sexy womanly curves too.(Think Lee-Ann Liebenberg, not Kate Moss)

Reply to TRUST ME
Posted by: Hlux | 2007/06/01

What kind of foods do you eat in your usual day? For your age your weight is actually right. Do you drink your 8 glasses of water a day? I have a friend who has tried so many diets and they haven't worked especially cause, I won't allow her. Most diets mess up your body and that you don't want later in life. From what I know about dieting, you should avoid starchy foods like bread etc. All your CHO's. Drink more water and increase your fruit and veggies. Stay away from take out's and oily foods or foods with fat. Don't over do it and become skinny. Also try to exercise a bit, walking or doing some sit up and push up's.

Reply to Hlux
Posted by: Jeanne | 2007/05/31

I am 1.50m tall, or should I say 1.50m short...

Reply to Jeanne
Posted by: Sympathetic | 2007/05/31

Hi, to me it does not sound realistic to want to lose 10kg's if your current weight is only 57kg's. How tall are you? Understandably every girl wants to look there best at the matric dance, but there is a big difference between looking beautifull/sexy and looking like a sick skeleton.

Reply to Sympathetic