Question
Posted by: diabetic | 2004/10/19

diet

I am a 21 year old female with diabetes tipe1. I was in hospital with diabetic ketosis just got released yesterday. Would like to know if someone can send me a diet so that I can eat the right foods without it costing me an fortune. Some recipies of cookies and stuf like that would be nice. Hope someone can help me I am very desperate!!!!!!!!

Dear Reader
I am sorry to hear about your ketosis and the spell in hospital. Because of the seriousness of your condition it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Diabetes'. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission. You can buy a diabetic cookbook by Hilda Lategan and co-authors called 'Cooking the Diabetic Way'. Contact Hilda, who is a dietitian on (012) 546-6410.