Question
Posted by: Smiley | 2008/01/17

Diebetes

Good day,<br><br>When I was last examined by my GP, he took a blood glucose test and I was right on the border line of diebetes type 2. We then proceeded to do a fasting glucose test the following day and that also showed borderline. I have since bought a glucometer so that I can test my blood as and when I require. However, according the the type of machine, the test strips and the comparison scale. They do not seem to advise whether the blood test is low or high. There is no scale to measure against. How do I know if it is low, average, Normal or high. I have just taken a test and the results were 8.3?. So where does this fit into the scale. Test done approximately 3 hours after eating slice of toast and a small cup of coffee.???

Dear Smiley
I must say that I am appalled that you have not been given more detailed information about how to test for your blood sugar levels and what diet to use for your diabetes. For your own sake Please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because it is vital that you are given a diet prescription based on low-fat, low-GI foods. Also go back to where you purchased the glucometer (presumably a chemist??) and ask the pharmacist to explain in detail how this machine works and how you are supposed to judge what the results mean.