Question
Posted by: Ms Paranoid | 2007/12/19

Did I have a miscarriage?

I started taking the depo provera injection in September 2006. Nearly every time I was due for a shot I would be a few days or a week late, and every time there would be a tiny bit of break through bleeding, which cleared up as soon as I got the next shot. The problem was that what little libido I had before evaporated while I was on it, and I was moody to the point of irrationality, so I decided to stop taking it (without consulting my clinic sister or anyone else). My lost injection was due on 28/08/2007. I was under the impression that I had a "window period" after the three month period and for the first 2 weeks after I'd finished the course my husband and didn't use contraception or discretion at all. About a week after that I started to feel "pregnant" - nauseous, dizzy, swollen nipples, exhausted etc ... even my right leg went numb, which only happened twice before, during each of my previous pregnancies. I took a test about 6 weeks after I was due to have my last shot, but it was negative so left it at that (with each of my previous pregnancies the test never sowed positive, despite the fact that I now have two children!).

About ten weeks after I was supposed to get my last shot I thought my period finally started again (I hadn't had one since about February). Only it was VERY heavy, with lots of tissue. It lasted about four weeks. I had severe cramping in my back and abdomen, and I could literally feel it pouring out (yuck - sorry!). I had a normal period not long after that, so my body seems to have sorted itself out, but I was wondering if it could have been a miscarriage? At the time I was very stressed and busy, getting less than 3 hours' sleep a night and ingesting a LOT of caffeine from various sources, which I know could be a factor.

Please help me find closure!

Unfortunately I cannot tell whether or not you had a miscarriage. It could have been, but may also have just been a heavy period. The only way to know would have been to have seen a doctor at the time or done a pregnancy test.