Posted by: Amy | 2008/10/28

Did I do something wrong?

Im 7 weeks pregnant. I only found out two weeks ago. First time pregnancy. Im bit worried. Pregnancy was not planned but I am thrilled that I am pregnant and very healthy, no morning sickness but feel a lot of tiredness! I bought a nice book when found out about pregnancy and now know about all the dangers of alcohol and smoking, etc. What worries me is that when I was unaware about being pregnant I did consume alcohol once or twice, quite a few beers (luckily only that and nothing like brandy or the hard stuff).

Did I unknowingly do harm to my unborn? I'  ve read in my book I bought that alcohol misuse can lead to underdevelopment of the brain????? Since I know about my pregnancy I'  m treasuring every moment of this, eating very healthy, lots of fruit and vegs, fruit juices, healthy carbs like pasta, etc. I'  '  m avoiding all the bad foods like shellfish, foods that contain raw egg like meringue, alcohol, places that is heavily polluted like example where people smoke, etc.

Please help.

If the alcohol was less than 6 units a week, you should be okay.

don' ts weat it... your baby is fine...

besides.. for the first few weeks baby has it' s own food supply and whatever you consumed did not affect your unborn sweetheart! at 8 weeks your baby will start to feed via the umbilical chord!

ps - it' s important that you keep in good health and if you haven' t started yet, now oudl be th etime to start you on a good multivitamin like DS24 or other....

good luck with your pregnancy!

Posted by: FTM | 2008/10/28

Hi Amy,

I think about 80% of females who don' t know still drink and smoke etc. in their first weeks of pregnancy... you did the right thing by changing to a more healthy regime from the 5th week (when you found out)... so don' t be too hard on yourself... everything should be fine...

I am 11 weeks 2 days, can' t wait for the 12 week mark, they say my nausea should lighten up... my Morning Sickness has been hectic... but all worh it...  o)

Good luck!

Reply to FTM