Question
Posted by: stan | 2006/07/16

diarrhoea

I have been on a sort-of-detoxifying diet, having only non-starchy non-fatty fresh fruit and (lots of) vegetables for a few days. Then yesterday I added a lean steak, which actually hurt my stomach and made it feel so full.And I also felt headachy and miserable. Today all i want is light, sweet-tasting stuff and I've had bran muffins, fruit salad and biscuits. I know I've had too much sugar and starch, probably fat too in the biscuits, but I feel so much better.
Can you explain what happened in my body these past few days?

Dear Stan
Not really. You mention diarrhoea in your heading, but then don't mention it again?? Did you get diarrhoea or not? Eating excessive quantities of dietary fibre all of a sudden can cause diarrhoea, and bloating. I don't think the lean steak would have made a difference. The headaches and low feeling could be due to low blood sugar if your energy intake is inadequate. That is why the sugar and starch made you feel better because they will have raised your blood sugar. Rather stick to eating a balanced diet all the time than to go on detox diets, which can cause diarrhoea, bloating, tiredness, dizziness and low blood sugar.