Question
Posted by: Bee | 2007/02/20

Diarrhea for no apparent reason

i've just returned from a five day holiday in Mozambique. I did not take preventative medication before I left. I suddently have a bad bout of diarrhea and no body else that i was with has it. I have no other symptoms and cannot find any mosquito bites on me. Could this be a symptom of malaria?

Dear Bee
Diarrhoea can actually be a sign of malaria. If you have fever and have headache and flu symptoms, rather go for a screening test. You may have also picked up a tummy bug - try Immodium for a day or 3 and see your doctor if it does not clear up after that.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2007/02/20

You went to Mozambique and didn't take malaria pills?? That's nothing short of crazy if you ask me. My gp says taking malaria medication is essential no matter what time of year you travel to Mozambique. If you cant afford the medication you shouldn't go given that you could end up seriously ill, even with cerebal malaria which can cost you your life and that is NO exaggeration.

You might have just picked up a bad travel stomach bug, but you should, nevertheless, go and have a malaria blood test to be sure you are not developing signs of malaria. One can develop malaria even when you have taken malaria medication and this can occur at any time up to 1 year after visiting a malaria area.

Reply to anxious