Posted by: Emma | 2008/07/24

I am a 52 year old woman and I am a diaplegic cp since birth. For the past 9 years I have been sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day and I find that my legs are becoming very weak, making walking and balance even worse than it used to be. I cannot go swimming as I cannot get in and out of pools by myself (I live alone). I know I need some form of exercise, but I don'  t know what to do. Walking alone will not help much as I depend on a walker these days. Have you got any suggestions for me?

Having a full time job is tiring and the lack of money is also an issue for me.

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Dear Emma

Please be so kind as to advise if you are close to a university, as the biokinetics department normally have students that can assist you with therapy. I recommend that you a stationery bicycle to cycle on, if possible, to strengthen your legs. If you need specialised equipment, the university will be able to assist you.

Kind regards