Question
Posted by: LM | 2006/04/21

Diagnosed with ITP

Dear CyberDoc,

I have been diagnosed with ITP (my platelet count was 9) about four years ago. After a lot of blood tests and high doses steriods my GP suggested I have my spleen removed, this helped as my platelet count after the opperation is now an average 450 - 500. I have my blood tested twice a year.

My questions are: 1.) what does ITP stand for; 2.) how did I contract the decease (if it is a decease); 3.) is there any medications I have to avoide, seeing that I don't have a spleen anymore.

At the time of my diagnoses there was very little information on
ITP.

Thank you for your time. I look forward hearing from you.

Kind regards,
LM

Dear LM
ITP stands for ideopathic( we don't know what causes it) Thrombocyto- ( platelets) -penia ( shortage of)

Read more on: http://www.hematologic.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/itp/itp.htm

1
Posted by: Julz KZN | 2006/04/25

Dear LM,

Amazed to see your post! My husband has ITP (diagnosed in 1995) and subsequently had a splenectomy. Unfortunately the splenectomy didn't 'work' as his platelet counts have remained low. So glad that your splenectomy did the trick!
He has been on & off prednisone for the last ten/eleven years.
I have been scouring the web to try to find other South Africans with ITP and have had no luck so far. I started a forum online (nothing fancy just a free web site) for Safrican ITPers. I found the international websites very helpful but it would be great to talk to someone "close to home".
Continued happy platelets to you!
Julz

Reply to Julz KZN