Question
Posted by: andre | 2007/07/19

diabetics

Hello,doc

I have been doing bodybuilding for 3 years intill about 2 mounths ago
I wanted to go on insulin for better building results and had a friend bodybuilder and doctor that would help me with their knowledge.

When I went to the doctor for blood tests to make sure that I can go on insulin,she said the tests revealed that my blood sugar levels in a 8 week period were between 4 and 7.2

According to her I was destined to become a diabetic anyway so she told me that I can go on insulin for building.

I took only 2ius and became very ill for the day,so I decided to leave it right away.

A week later in gym I experienced dizzyness, pins and needles and felt like I was going to pass out. My cousin took me to hospital and my blood sugar was tested and everything was 100%

So I went to a different doc the next day and he then took my blood and he then let me know that everything is fine but I should stop doing bodybuilding and using banned sustances before it is too late

It has been 2 months now that I stopped with everything related to bodybuilding except training and for some reason I still feel ill during the morning time and get dizzy sometimes. II dont know if its just in my head because the first doc told me that I am already becoming a diabetic (the second doc told my that is not true)

What symptoms should I look out for before I should get worried?
And is it true what the first doc said that because of my blood sugar not being constant II am becoming a diabetic (never higher than 7.2 or lower than 4)
And why the second doc said everything looks fine

I will apreciate it very much if you can help me with this problem so I can go on living my life hopefully without fear that something is going to happen to me

thanks

Dear Andre

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I do not agree with the first doctor's opinion that you will become a diabetic. There are various risk factors, i.e. family history of diabetes, excessive drinking or being severely over weight that would increase chances of becoming a diabetic. It does not sound that you have these risk factors.

Symptoms of diabetes are the following:

* Excessive eating
* Excessive of fluids consumed, i.e. water (+/- 6 to 10 liters per day)
* Excessive urination at night (waking to urinate more than 3 times per night)

Your glucose levels seems to be fine and this not indicative of diabetes.

Please do not ever again use insulin for body building purposes.

I trust that the above information will put your mind at ease.

Kind regards