Question
Posted by: concerned wife | 2002/12/12

Diabetic No-No's?

Hi, My husband is 43 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes when he turned 40. He takes insulin 3 times a day and medication,but everyday he eats junk food.Bags of chips,candy bars,cake,soda you name it. My question is what is this doing to him? Is he o.k. as long as he keeps taking his medicine. He knows what he is doing is wrong because his mother is a diabetic and he went to classes and everything. I just want to know what is going to be the results of this in the long run?

Concerned wife, the problem is that insulin also causes problems in the long run. The more junk he eats, the more insulin he will have to use and the sooner he will start experiencing problems like heart problems, kidney problems, eye problems, etc. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Health24 | 2002/12/12

Enrol in a free programme, called the Life Programme, by phoning 0860 101 355. They'll provide advice and mail you regular newsletters.
Health24

Reply to Health24
Posted by: Hmmm | 2002/12/12

The problem with what he is doing is not going to have an effect right now, apart from him having high blood sugar. However, the long term effects of his uncontrolled sugar (which it must be if he is eating these things) is really bad. Loss of eye sight, stroke, heart problems, limb amputation, kidney problems - the list is endless. Some people are lucky and others not - BUT, he needs to test his blood sugar (mmol) regularly and keep it stable and under control. I am a type 1 diabetic on insulin, and even with doing my absolute best, after 2 years my kidneys have started failing. At this point, you realise very quickly that it CAN happen to you. You need to remove all the junk foods out of the house so at least they aren't there tempting him.

Reply to Hmmm