Question
Posted by: Blaze | 2006/11/01

Diabetic Husky Part 2

Hi There,
Please help!!!
My husky has now been at the Vet since Monday, and on Tuesday I was told they were making some progress in stabalising her blood sugar, but today I have been told that she still needs to stay there because they can not stablise her sugar readings.
What does all this mean.
In simple terms to me its give her the insulin and if the dosage is too l ow, just increase the insulin, or have I lost the plot.
Also now the vets are mentioning that if her sugar is not stabalised by tomorrow I need to take her for a sonar to check her pancreas.
Please can you explain to me what all this means.

Also on a side note, the breeding society for huskies in SA, has told me that I need to keep her weight at 25kg, the vet has said that I need to get her weight up to a minimum of 28kg. How do I handle this diplomatically with the vet without coming across as a know it all or as questioning her judgement, I am just not too sure how much information on huskies the vet has, and who is correct in this circumstance

Firstly, male Huskys according to the American Husky association website can weigh up to 60 pounds that is about 27.27 kg. What we need to remember is that these recommendations were written by people. Dogs live in the world of biology not absolute science and therefore a dog that has bigger frame than others will appear thin at 30kg where as a small dog will be obese at 30kg. The other thing to remember is that these dogs are extremely active and mayrequire a high energy diet (for sporting animals) or they will begin to use their bodily reserves to survive and end up being chronically thin.
Diabetes: A difficult disease to treat in many animals for many reasons. Why do we run a glucose curve and why does it sometimes take a few days: To run a glucose curve we take sequential blood samples from the pateint who is fed and treated as they would be at home. The glucose level is plotted against time and we look to see if the blood glucose (in diabetics, as you know, the glucose is chronically high due to insulin deficiency or intolerance (or some other reason)) comes down nto the normal range and how long it stays there. If the insulin does causes the blood glucose to drop too low the dose must be modified and the curve repeated. If the new dose causes the glucose not to drop low enough it willneed to be modifed again. Some patients need the insulin more than once a day to keep the glucose near normal.

Scanning the abdomen (this being done by a qualified experience vet) can often show up an enlarged pancreas (the organ that produces insulin) or signs of inflammation around the pancreas. I hope this helps. I fyou have other questions please ask.

2
Posted by: jenny | 2006/11/02

I agree with Chill. You have to get the ratio right. ( It is possible that the pancrease is not working at all or ever so slighly. and this is not something you have done it just happens.) You cannot just inject with insulin. You could put her on a high or a low, meaning that if you give to much you will have her sugar too low and if you give her to little then her sugar is then still to high and that is just as dangerous and she will feel terrible either way. PLEASE be patient. With any diabetic dog/person the first while it is just try and error till they get the right insulin and the dosage and then you are just as healthy as a normal person. Just remember to always have enough water for you animal available. you do found tht they do drink a lot more that others and it is advisable to have a large container with water all day. (that is for when she comes home)
I do not know if you have googled about the illness but this could help. But ask you vet all you worries. I am sure you are worried and confused with the going on's but once you have got her on the right food and quantity and injections and you keep an eye on her you will see it is going to be fine.

A 3 kg diffrence is not such a train smash and i would rather have a health 28 kg dog, so dont stress to much.

Reply to jenny
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/01

I can't advise you about the diabetes, except to say that it's not just a matter of pumping in insulin and getting the dosage right. If her condition is unstable, then there's possibly something else going on, and since the insulin stuff happens in the pancreas, that's where they have to look.

I would also suggest that the Husky Club is going to put out guidelines for healthy dogs in the prime of life, not for dogs that have serious health issues. When it comes to my dogs' health, I know who I'd be listening to, and that is my vet.

Reply to Chill