Posted by: Sam | 2008/10/20

Diabetic dog food

My dog a 9 year old lab siberian X, unspayed bitch has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. She is on 0.8mg caninsulin a day. When she first came home from the vet where she was diagnosed with Pancreatiis and then Diabetes she was put onto Eukanuba special digestve food and I was told when the bag of food was finished she could eat normal food. After 2 full days of normal food she is drinking gallons of water and urinating frequently again. I think she needs different food, what would you recommend. I also read that Diabetes is common in unspayed bitches, would having her spayed now help?

Dear Sam

If she is drinking lots this means that her diabetes in not well controlled. Most dogs need insulien injections twice daily. She needs to be monitored over 24-48 hours with regular blood sugar level checks. Spaying will not help.

Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/20

I' m sure the cvet will respond re the diet and insulin - I do know that it can take a bit of trial and error to establish the correct insulin dosages in order to achieve stability. I would suggest you keep in close touch with your vet until it' s sorted.

Re the spaying: I don' t know about the effect of spaying on diabetes - but I do know for sure that an unspayed bitch is FAR more prone to a whole bunch of other troubles, many of which are nasty in the extreme. You really don' t want to have to deal with any of the related cancers, or uterine infections that I' m talking about - again: talk to your vet and find out if the dog' s condition is good enough to operate - and do it!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: marianne | 2008/10/20

Hello little Doberman x is also diabetic, and on .2ml Caninsulin twice a day. My vet told me that he will never be able to eat '  normal '  food again, but he is so spoilt that he absolutely refuses to eat the posh diabetic pellets etc. I give him canine w/d (tinned food) mixed with a little cut up chicken breast in the morning and then in the evening I still give him Vets choice softened with hot water with some chicken breast in again. The w/d is very expensive at around R16 a tin...........mine has 4 x meals out of ot, but your dog is big.................. My vet also warned me about ANYTHING fatty/greasy!
The drinking of huge amounts of water is not a good sign........maybe you should take her back to the vet, and see if splitting the dose in 2 (12 hourly intervals) would help.

Good luck......

Reply to marianne