Question
Posted by: BETH | 2007/05/09

DIABETIC DIET & BISCUITS

Thank you for the VERY helpful basic diabetic menu. My husband is an Type II diabetic. The only thing that puzzles me is the snacks. Please advise me on the PRODUCT NAMES for wholewheat biscuits and high-fibre biscuits. There are so many on the market with chocolate coatings etc.

Dear Beth
Any biscuits with chocolate or a high sugar content should rather be avoided. The type of biscuits referred to are Digestive biscuits and the whole range of Provita, rye cracker breads, and wheat or maize biscuits found in the health sections of the supermarkets - select the ones with the lowest sugar content (check on the labels). You do realise that it is still important for your hubby to see a clinical dietitian so that she can work out an individual diet prescription for his specific condition and needs? Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. He won't regret seeing the dietitian and it will make your life easier too.