Question
Posted by: MINI ME | 2003/03/11

DIABETIC AND TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT

HI

I AM A DIABETIC TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT - I AM ABOUT 20 KILOS OVERWEIGHT - MY SUGAR IS NOT UNDER GOOD CONTROL - DOCTOR SAYS O.K. BUT NOT GREAT - I AM UNDER A LOT OF STRESS AT WORK WHICH I DON'T THINK HELPS WITH THE SUGAR - I DON'T LIKE TO EXERCISE AS MY BACK AND FEET HURT WHEN I DO - I AM EATING THE RIGHT FOODS (NOTHING WITH SUGAR) - BUT I STILL CANNOT LOSE THE WEIGHT - WHEN I FIRST BECOME A DIABETIC THE DIABETIC DOCTOR SAID I HAD A VERY SLOW METABOLISM WHICH I DONT THINK HAS IMPROVED - PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE ON HOW TO LOSE MY WEIGHT - I HAVE TRIED ALL THE DIETS AND WEIGH LESS DOES NOT WANT A DIABETIC ON THEIR BOOKS - OH I AM A TYPE 1 DIABETIC AND I TAKE INSULIN 3 TIMES A DAY

PLEASE HELP - I AM DESPERATE

Dear Mini
I always advise all diabetics to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) for the name and address of your nearest dietitian), because you need to have an individual diet worked out for you which takes the many factors that influence your condition into account (age, gender, type of diabetes and medication, overweight, exercise or lack of it, other complicating conditions, etc). So do yourself the favour of consulting a dietitian who will also help to monitor your progress with the weight loss and your diabetic condition. It is really worth it.
Take great care