Question
Posted by: Dell | 2006/04/06

Diabetic and Need to fall Pregnant

Good Doc,

I am diabetic and using insulin. My question is in the morning when i test myself it will always be above 7 mmol is this bad news or not. Again i am 1.56 and weigh 85kg and need to fall pregnant, is insulin affecting my chances or not. Your response is highly appreciated.

Dear Dell

It is much safer to try to conceive whilst using insulin. Most gynaecologists would change a patient from oral hypoglycaemic agents to insulin when they intend to conceive, as insulin is far safer. The absolute levels of glucose is not of major concern if the levels remain below 10ml per litre. However, it is believed that the levels of Ketones is of greater importance in the early conceptual period, as it may be linked with embryopathy. Ketones often occur in cases of excess insulin use, which may cause a temporary starvation effect and therefore extremely tight control in the peri-conceptual period may be advisable.

2
Posted by: shana | 2006/04/09

non diabetic on metforal with irregular menstrual cycles ,will the metforal help me fall pregnant ?

Reply to shana
Posted by: dragon | 2006/04/07

Yes, insulin suppresses ovulation, NO OFEENCE, but personally I think for your height you may be a little bit overweight. I was also overweight by 18kg, I lost 10kg already and my insulin dropped from 16,9 to 9. So just by losing weight my insulin dropped tremendeously. When I was overweight I struggled to ovulate even on clomid, now I don't even need the clomid, I ovulate on my own and my progesteroon tested 165,3. It is very high so ovulation is very strong. What also helped me is I obtained home test ovulation kids, they are a bit expensive, but it helps you monitoring the ovulation, I used to take my insulin tables, glucophage, 3 times a day, now I only take it twice a day just to be on the safe side, if you take the injections, ask your doctor if it is the right miligrams etc.
Hope this help, and if I did in any way offended you, I do appologise.

Reply to dragon