Posted by: Sweety | 2008/10/01

Hi Doc can you please explain to me the symptoms of DIABETICS .lately sugar tastes different for me . I used to take my coffee with 2 teaspoon sugar but now 2 tsp taste like 4 , and I cant eat more than 3 squares of chocolate , its like they put more sugar in it . could I be DIABETIC ?

Dear Sweety
Basically the symptoms of diabetes centre round the fact that the carbohydrates your eat, including sugars (not just table sugar, but also sugar in fruit, etc) are not being properly used to fuel your body. Thus typical symptoms include tiredness, feeling faint, shakiness, blurred vision, extreme thirst no matter how much water you drink, excessive urination, lack of energy, mood swings, cravings for carbs, weightloss, etc. Your altered taste sensations may or may not be an indication of a disturbed carbohydrate metabolism, but there are also many other factors that could have caused this change (intake of certain medications, brain tumours, etc), so I would recommend that you have a medical examination and ask the dr to check if you suffer from diabetes or any other condition.