Posted by: Belinda | 2004/10/20


Good morning
I am looking for an eating plan for my husband (31) who is in the grey-zone for diabetic.

Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Belinda
It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take his potential diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for him, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. He should ask his doctor what type of exercise he is allowed to do and get more active, e.g. by going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if the doctor gives permission.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: FH | 2004/10/21

Hi Belinda

I am 29 y/old and also been diagnosed as a diabetic 3.5 years ago. I'm not on any medication and am managing to maintain acceptable blood sugar levels by diet control, and regular exercise.

There is no hard and fast diet as such, but there certain guidelines you can follow:
* Avoid high fat foods
* try to cut out simple sugars and replacing them with non-nutritive sweeteners like Canderel (aspartame based) or Sweetex (saccharine based)
* Avoid sugary carbonated drinks and try to keep to artificially sweetened drinks like Coke Light, Tab, Sprite Zero etc. (once again they contain aspartame)
* Be careful when chosing the 'light' versions of popular foods, they sometimes contain the same amount of carbohydrates and the fat saving is negligible
* Try to have a lot of fibre, instead of white bread, try to have whole-wheat or rye bread.
* try to find out a bit about the GI (Glycaemic Index) of foods, this indicates how a food will affect your blood sugar levels
* Instead of using whole milk, try switching to a 2% low fat or even a fat-free milk
* Try to exercise at least 3 times a week, low impact aerobic exercise (walking etc.) recommended if your hubby is overweight. Try not to overdo it though, because you could injure yourself and that would make your situation even worse.
* If your hubby is overweight try to lose a bit of weight if possible, it will greatly improve his blood sugar levels.
* Be patient with him, he's likely to experience a lot of mood swings while coming to terms with his condition.

If you want to follow a set eating plan, consult a registered dietitian who be able to do so.

Good luck

Reply to FH

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.