Question
Posted by: Diabetes2 | 2008/05/30

DIABETES2

On Health24 is a diet for diabetes with normal weight, can I following the same diet and reduce portions for weight loss. I'm diabetes2 and urgently need to loose weight. I'v started gym and have a personal trainer, but its the weight issue thats bothering me. Please advice.

Dear Diabetes2
As it says in the article on the diet for diabetes, it is essential that every individual who suffers from diabetes should consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. You cannot just use the diet example on this Website for your situation because you need an individual diet prescription - for example your carbohydrate portions may differ or you may need to cut out fat portions, etc. So for your own sake, please consult a dietitian for your own diet prescription.
Keep up the good work with the exercise as this is one of the best ways of controlling diabetes.