Question
Posted by: Richard | 2007/03/09

Diabetes type 2

I have been a diabetic for around 10 years now. recently my sugar levels have gone up from + _ 6-7 and now hovers around 10. I admitt I have`nt been as strict as I should have been but I am having a problem getting them down again. Even though sucrose and fructose are`nt pure cane sugar should I leave them alone completely. I am told not to eat foods that are recomended to diabetics because they are higher in fat content. I think I am getting to the stage where I am not sure what to have that is safe.
Can you please give me some good sound advice.
Thankyou
Richard Walkden

Dear Richard
Have you ever consulted a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for your own specific diabetic diet prescription? If not, then please do so. It is essential for anyone with diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. The dietitian will indicate to you how much table sugar and fructose you are allowed to eat and when. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission.