Posted by: Beverley | 2012/05/31

Diabetes type 1

My husband was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 yesterday. The eating plan that is on the web site can i use this plan as well or does a type 1 need to eat differently? Also we are seeing a lady tomorrow regarding the insulint he will have to be taking. What questions should i be asking this person regarding the insulint. All you help will be much appreciated.
Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Beverley
I am sorry to hear that your husband has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is more difficult to control and it is necessary to coordinate food intake very carefully with the insulin he will be using. To do this you cannot just use a general guideline for diabetes, because your hubby needs to have an individual diabetic diet prescription worked out for his specific needs taking into account all of his unique factors: 1) Severity of his condition, 2) Type of insulin the dr prescribes and spacing of his dosage, 3) His age, height, weight, and any other health conditions he may have, including overweight; 4) His level of activity; 5) Other medications he may be taking. Only a registered dietitian is qualified to work out this type of diabetic diet prescription, so please visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area as soon as possible. Die dietitian will also be able to assist you with getting used to the diet and meal spacing. Also contact Hilda Lategan, who is a dietitian who has done a lot of research into diabetic foods, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: to buy a copy of her cookbook for diabetics, which is called 'South African Cookbook for Diabetes and Insulin Resistance'. This cookbook contains super recipes which diabetics can eat and enjoy.
Wishing you and your hubby all the best.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.