Question
Posted by: loyiso | 2008/01/21

Diabetes symptoms

In 2006 around july i was hospitalised for chest pains. One of the tests done was for sugar diabetes. The results from this test were not good. My fasting test came out as 6.7. The doctor who treated me didn't say much about this except to say loud that i had diabetes, and he subsequently discharged me without telling me what to do. Because of my ignorance i didn't do anything about that until around Aug 06 when i started feeling the symptoms of diziness, hunger pangs and my eyes. I then consulted my doc who did some more tests and told me i had gluecose intolerance. He then advised me to go to the gym and lose weight, and refered me to a dieticien who took my measurements and design an eating plan for me. I lost about 12kgs within 3months. By the end of Nov 2006 my blood sugar was back to normal. Last year Nov i started feeling the same symptoms i had in 06. I did a fasting test again and the results were 5.6 (above by 1). The doc told me it's glucose intolerance again. He advised me to start eating health and will be ok. But because it was the festive it was difficult to stick to a healthy diet, i now feel the symptoms more (frequent thirstiness and urinating at night). I have never stopped the gym since 2006 except the two weeks of my dec holidays. I must admit since my blood sugar came back to normal at end of 2006, i have been sticking to a healthy diet the way i used to when my blood sugar levels were high. Could this indicate that i have diabetes? Why is it coming back? I am 1.78 tall and currently weighing 82kgs. I am from 96kgs and i don't want to lose more thatn this. What do you suggest?

Dear Loyiso
I do so wish that doctors would explain to their patients what they mean when they diagnose someone with a condition like diabetes. From what you say, it appears that you probably suffer from insulin resistance which is the first step towards developing diabetes. If you keep your weight in check (your current BMI = 27,1 which is above the normal level - you should preferably weigh 70 kg - thus 12 kg to lose!!), your blood sugar and insulin levels within the normal range by eating a low-fat, low glycaemic index (GI) diet and doing plenty of exercise each day, then you will still have insulin resistance but the chances that it will develop into full-blown diabetes is less. You will always be potentially susceptible to developing diabetes. I would recommend that you have your insulin and blood sugar levels tested again by your dr so that we can find out if you are just insulin resistant or if you have not developed type 2 diabetes. If the latter is true then you will continue with the low-fat, low-GI diet and exercise, but the dr may add medications to control your blood sugar levels.

1
Posted by: Greg | 2008/06/23

Dear Doc

I have been battling over the past few weeks to get my sugar count down (13 - 15 currently). During this time I have been battling to fall asleep as a result of my mind being "hyperactive" - the only way I can describe it. Could this be caused by the heightened sugar?

Greg

Reply to Greg